Governors and trustees
We recognise that governing boards today play a pivotal role in ensuring the safeguarding of children, and this includes online safeguarding and the impact of digital technology. Providing access to broad, balanced and impactful online safety education is also key.
It is vital that Governors:
- Understand their online safety responsibilities and accountabilities
- Have an awareness of online threats, risks and trends in technology use and internet use
- Support and critically challenge the school in implementing effective online safety policy, procedure and practice
- Ensure their school provides an appropriate level of filtering and monitoring which safeguards young people from risky online content and contact
- Receive and act upon regular online safety reports from senior leaders
- Ensure children are taught about online safeguarding through teaching and learning opportunities as part of a broad and balanced curriculum
- Provide all staff with appropriate online safety training
Below we set out some FAQs and some key resources.