Key advice for those working in the health sector - including GPs, school and community nurses and child and adolescent mental health professionals - to help them understand the impact of digital technologies on young people and their mental health in particular.
It is vital that health professionals:
- have a knowledge of the latest online threats, risks and trends in online communications and social networking
- understand the impact of technology and new and emerging apps and trends have on the health of young people and their relationships
- encourage and support young people to develop healthy relationships with technology and manage their mental health
- consider the use of technology by parents and carers which may impact on family life
- include relevant questions in assessments and when treating patients to gain an understanding of the role of technology in their lives
Below we set out some FAQs and some key resources.