Disney's Club Penguin is an online game and virtual world which is popular among the 7 to 11 age group. Club Penguin has a range of safety features and lots of advice about how to have fun on the site safely.
For top online safety tips, downloads for parents and more information about Disney’s internet safety campaign ‘It Starts with You’, please visit www.clubpenguin.com/safety.
For information on Club Penguin’s safety measures and additional online safety advice, please visit the Safety Help Topics section.
There are a number of safety features on the Club Penguin site:
- Club Penguin has a large team of in-house moderators around the world who monitor in-game activity and player names, and are available to respond to players and parents via email and telephone. In addition, all UK moderators receive expert training from CEOP.
Advanced Chat and Filtering Technology
- Safe Chat ensures that children can communicate with one another in-world, but helps to prevent them sharing personal information or bullying other players by using nasty or negative language.
- Aimed at younger players, Club Penguin also has an option called Ultimate Safe Chat that allows players to communicate using only the pre-written phrases that are provided.
Players are also empowered to keep themselves safe online with the following tools:
- Reporting a player via the “M” button on their Player Card sends a transcript of conversation straight to the moderators, who review it thoroughly.
- Ignoring a player will remove them from their screen entirely.
- Locking their igloo so only their friends (and moderators) can enter.
- Parents have the ability to manage their children’s accounts, including setting up a Timer to control when and for how long their child plays.
- Club Penguin does not have any advertisements to better protect their players. There are no links to third party sites.
Terms and conditions
All players agree to follow four simple rules while playing on Club Penguin:
- Respect Others - No bullying or being mean to others
- Chat Nicely - No rude or inappropriate language
- Stay Safe Online - No sharing of personal information
- Play Fair - No cheating or use of third party programs
Please visit www.clubpenguin.com/help/help-topics/club-penguin-rules/club-penguin-rules for more information.
No age restrictions, but parental permission needed
There are no age restrictions to join Disney’s Club Penguin, but parental permission is needed. To sign up, players need to enter their parent’s email address. The parent will then be sent an activation code, which they have to confirm in order to make the account live.