Need help?

If you need help there are a number of organisations that can help. Also see our Advice and Resources section for more information and advice about internet safety issues.


Grooming or other illegal behaviour:

If you want to report someone who is behaving suspiciously online towards a child, you should in an emergency contact the emergency services by calling 999, or otherwise make a report to CEOP, the Child Exploitation Online Protection Centre, see

Criminal content online:

Child sexual abuse images: If you stumble across criminal content online, you should report this to the Internet Watch Foundation at Criminal content in the UK includes child sexual abuse images, criminally obscene adult content as well as non-photographic child sexual abuse images. 

Online terrorism: You can report terrorism related content to the police’s Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit at

Hate speech: Online content which incites hatred on the grounds of race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender should be reported to True Vision at

Media content inappropriate for children:

If you want to make a complaint about an advert, television or radio programme, film, newspaper, magazine, video game or other type of content that you think is unsuitable for children to see or hear, you can report it through ParentPort at Click on Make a Complaint and ParentPort will take you straight to the right place to complain to.


If you have been ‘scammed, ripped off or conned’ you can report to Action Fraud online or on 0300 1232040. It is a 24/7 service This service is run by the City of London Police.      

Getting help/ advice: for young people


Is free 24/7 helpline for children and young people. You can call 0800 1111 or chat online at ChildLine is run by the NSPCC.

Get Connected:

A free confidential help for young people under 25, open 1pm-11pm every day. Tel 0808 8084994 or chat online at

Gambling help from GamCare:

GamCare provides support to anyone who thinks they might have a gambling problem, or their family and friends. You can chat online at or call the helpline on 0808 8020 133

Getting help/ advice: for parents

Family Lives:

Charity providing help and support in all aspects of family life. They have a 24/7 free Parentline on 0808 8002222, or visit


Is a leading anti-bullying charity, which provides a helpline for parents of children who have been bullied. From 10am to 8pm, on 08451

Getting help/advice: for professionals working with children

Professionals online safety helpline:

Helpline operated by the UK Safer Internet Centre offering professionals who work with children across the UK support, advice and mediation with online safety issues. The helpline can be contacted by email: or telephone on 0844 3814772 (calls on this number are charged at local call rate).

School Employee Unions and Professional Associations:

Details of these can be found on p7 of Childnet's cyberbullying guidance document

Teacher Support Network:

England: 0800 0562561 
Scotland: 0800 5642270 
Wales: 0800 0855088